Middle Eastern Rice Salad
Healthy Carb Side Dish: Middle Eastern Rice Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Remove from heat, and stir in chickpeas, cumin, and salt. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine rice, onion-chickpea mixture, dates, mint, and parsley in a large bowl. Toss well until thoroughly combined. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Give this rice salad a try! It’s packed with healthy carbs and is sure to provide energy for those tough workouts!
Get recipes for these great meals too!